jump to navigation

Carlisle vicar sentenced to jail for abuse: The Church of England Newspaper, November 29, 2012 December 5, 2012

Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Church of England, Church of England Newspaper.
Tags: , ,
comments closed

A Carlisle vicar, the Rev. Ronald Johns, has been sentenced to four years imprisonment by the Carlisle Crown Court for child abuse.  On 27 Sept 2012 Johns pled guilty to two charges of indecent assault and four counts of gross indecency against one victim, two charges of gross indecency with a second victim, and two charges of gross indecency with a third.

A statement released by the Diocese of Carlisle on 19 Nov 2012 said that a “prison sentence can never be a matter of pleasure, nor can it put right wrongs that were done, but the sentence given to Ron Johns today is just and fair and reflects the gravity of his offences.”

“We know that those abused are so manipulated by the abuser that they are the ones who end up feeling guilty, while the abuser attempts to excuse himself.  The Diocese of Carlisle therefore hopes that Ron John’s victims will feel that this sentence lays clear the truth:  Ron Johns did wicked things, which were not their fault or responsibility.”

Bishop James Newcome added that “we unreservedly condemn this and any abuse.  Jesus made it clear that those who are most vulnerable should be most precious, and hence safest with the Church.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.  We apologize again to them for failing to take the action we should have done when Ron John’s crimes first came to light.”

In his summing up, Judge Rabinder Singh said he was incarcerating Mr. Johns (75) as a pre-sentence evaluation found him to be a danger to society and that his behavior was manipulative and predatory.

On 15 Oct 2012 Bishop Newcome apologized for the way his predecessor, Bishop Ian Harland, dealt with Mr. Johns after allegations of abuse were raised. After Johns admitted the charges were true, Bishop Harland did not report the incidents to the police but transferred him from his post as canon at Carlisle Cathedral to serve as vicar of Caldbeck and Castle Sowerby with Sebergham in 1994. No charges were pressed by the victims at that time, and the diocese did not inform the police of the accusations or Mr. John’s confession.

First printed in The Church of England Newspaper.

Pedophile priest sentenced to four years imprisonment: Anglican Ink, November 19, 2012 November 19, 2012

Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Anglican Ink, Church of England.
Tags: , , ,
comments closed

The Rev.Ronald Johns

A Church of England vicar, who had been shielded by his bishop after charges of sexual abuse were leveled against him 20 years ago, has been sentenced today to four years imprisonment by the Carlisle Crown Court for molesting children.

Judge Rabinder Singh said he was incarcerating the Rev. Ronald Johns (75) as a pre-sentence evaluation found him to be a danger to society and that his behavior was manipulative and predatory.

Read it all in Anglican Ink.

Bishop of Carlisle offers apology for clergy abuse: The Church of England Newspaper, October 28, 2012 p 4. October 29, 2012

Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Church of England, Church of England Newspaper.
Tags: , ,
comments closed

The Rev. Ronald Johns

The Bishop of Carlisle has met with parishioners of St Kentigern’s Church, Caldbeck in Cumbria to apologize for his predecessor’s handling of allegations of child abuse committed by the church’s former vicar, Ronald Johns.

On 15 Oct 2012, Bishop James Newcome apologised for Bishop Ian Harland’s actions. After allegations of abuse were made against Johns in 1993, Bishop Harland transferred him from his post as canon at Carlisle Cathedral to serve as vicar of Caldbeck and Castle Sowerby with Sebergham in 1994.

While the victims did not press their charges against Johns at that time, on 27 Sept 2012 Johns (75) pled guilty to two charges of indecent assault and four counts of gross indecency against one victim, two charges of gross indecency with a second victim, and two charges of gross indecency with a third.

Following Johns’ plea, the diocese released a statement saying “We have been deeply shocked and grieved by the Rev. Ron Johns’ admission of very serious child sexual abuse. It is right that the highest standards should be expected of clergy – and Mr. Johns has not lived up to his vocation and profession.”

The diocese added that it “too must take its share of responsibility. When the first allegations of abuse were made in 1993, the matter was not well handled by the then Bishop: even though at that time the complainants did not wish to pursue the matter with the Police, it was absolutely wrong that Mr Johns should have been offered another post.

We apologise unreservedly to his victims that we failed to take the action that we should have taken to prevent children and young people being harmed. We also apologise to the parishioners at Caldbeck and recognise the profound and damaging impact on all those affected,” the diocesan statement said.

Bishop Newcome said, “I unreservedly condemn this and any abuse. Jesus made it clear that those who are most vulnerable should be most precious, and hence safest with the Church. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”

Johns will come before the Carlisle Crown Court on 19 Nov 2012 for sentencing.

First printed in The Church of England Newspaper.