jump to navigation

Sussex cleric banned for Life: The Church of England Newspaper, April 6, 2014 April 11, 2014

Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Church of England, Church of England Newspaper.
Tags: ,
comments closed

The Diocese of Chichester has banned a retired clergyman imprisoned for child abuse in 2013, the Rev. Wilkie Denford from “ministerial practice for life.”

On 21 March 2014 the diocese released a statement saying: “Following the conclusion of criminal proceedings and a subsequent statutory disciplinary process under the Clergy Discipline Measure 2003, sentences of prohibition for life from exercising any functions of ordained ministry within the Church of England have been imposed upon the Reverend Keith (Wilkie) Denford. The sentences are imposed under Section 30 of the Clergy Discipline Measure following the respondents’ convictions and imprisonment for a series of indecent assaults, including offences against minors.”

In May 2013 Denford was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment by the Hove Crown Court for sexually abusing two teenage boys.  “There can be no greater breach of trust than a man playing the role of a man of God, and as the spiritual adviser to the family concerned, to take advantage of that position to abuse small children,” Judge Paul Tain told Denford at his sentencing.

In a 9 May 2013 statement released after the sentence was handed down, the Bishop of Chichester, the Rt. Rev. Martin Warner, said “today will mark a milestone for the survivors who have had to live through this trial.  To them we offer an unreserved apology and an assurance that we have heard and we believe the terrible story they have had to tell.”

Chichester clergy abuse arrest: The Church of England Newspaper, May 20, 2012 p 6. May 28, 2012

Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Church of England, Church of England Newspaper.
Tags: ,
comments closed

A retired priest and an organist have been charged with having abused young boys over twenty years ago in West Sussex. The Rev. Keith Wilkie Denford (77) and Mr. Michael Mytton (68) had been arrested last November by detectives from the child protection unit of the Sussex Police and appeared answered bail at the Crawley police station on 8 May 2012.

A spokesman for Sussex Police stated: “Child protection detectives in West Sussex have charged two men with sexual offences allegedly committed between 22 and 25 years ago.

“Denford has been charged with three indecent assaults on a boy then under 16, two in or near Shoreham, and one in or near Cuckfield on dates between June 1987 and January 1990, and has also been charged with one indecent assault on another boy then aged under 16 in or near Cuckfield on dates between January 1987 and December 1990.

A spokesman for the Diocese of Chichester said both men had been suspended “from all duties immediately upon receiving advice from the local safeguarding authorities.”

The diocese said it had been “cooperating with the police and other related public authorities throughout the investigation.”

Both men have been released on bail and will appear at Mid Sussex Magistrates’ Court, Haywards Heath, on 22 May 2012.

First printed in The Church of England Newspaper.