jump to navigation

40 students murdered in Nigerian sectarian massacre: The Church of England Newspaper, October 14, 2012 p 6. October 16, 2012

Posted by geoconger in Church of England Newspaper, Church of Nigeria, Persecution.
Tags: , ,
trackback

Christian leaders in Nigeria have denounced the murder of 40 university students in Mubi, Nigeria and have called for the government to implement tough new laws to combat sectarian terrorism.

On the evening of 1 Oct 2012, terrorists dressed in military uniforms went door to door in a student dormitory at Adamawa State University shooting students or cutting their throats with machetes.  Some press accounts reported the killers were working from a list, and asked each man his name and then freed him, or took him outside to be killed.  No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Boko Haram is suspected of having been behind the attack.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) released a statement last week condemning the massacre. CAN national secretary the Rev. Musa Asake said “CAN rejects the theory of election dispute as responsible for the massacre of over 40 students, considering the manner it was reportedly carried out. It believes that the reason is phony and that such a theory, arrived at in haste, can only serve to shield the real culprits and cover up their motives.”

He applauded President Goodluck Jonathan’s promise to track down the killers and urged Christians not to respond to the murders with revenge attacks. “We call on all men and women of goodwill in Nigeria to join the government to fight what may snowball into a religious or ethnic war,” Mr. Asake said.

First printed in The Church of England Newspaper.

Comments

1. mensah nyonmowoko - October 28, 2012

what is happening in our world today. Wherever these are hiding, they will surely die the way they have killed the innocent souls. May their souls rest in peace.


Sorry comments are closed for this entry

%d bloggers like this: