jump to navigation

Indian church leaders call for calm in the wake of terror attacks: The Church of England Newspaper, Aug 12, 2011 p 6. August 17, 2011

Posted by geoconger in Church of England Newspaper, Church of North India, Terrorism.
Tags:
trackback

First published in The Church of England Newspaper.

Church leaders in India have condemned last month’s terror bombings in Bombay that killed 26 and injured 130 people.

On 13 July, three bombs exploded within 15 minutes of each other at the Zaveri Bazaar in South Bombay, the Opera House in the centre of the city, and near a bus stand in the Dadar district in the heart of Bombay. The blasts occurred two days after the fifth anniversary of the railway station blasts that killed 200 people and injured 700. In 2008 Islamist terrorists from Pakistan attacked a train station, hotel and other crowded areas killing 164 people.

“We strongly condemn the inhuman and dastardly attack,” said Alwan Masih, general secretary of the Church of North India (CNI). “It is highly unfortunate that we could not prevent the attack despite our vast resources. What is more painful is that this was a serial blast.”

“These forces engaged in inhuman actions must not divide and destroy our unity,” Mr Masih said. “They do not belong to any civil society. So it is very crucial that we react maturely.”

Since 1993, more than 700 people have been killed in terror attacks by foreign and domestic jihadi groups in Bombay, India’s commercial capital. Initial reports suggest the Indian Mujahideen (IM) may be behind last month’s attack. A home-grown terror group comprised of Indian Muslims, IM came to the notice of the security services in 2007 after it claimed responsibility for bombings in several Northern Indian cities.

%d bloggers like this: