Priest arrested for attempted child rape: The Church of England Newspaper, September 16, 2012 p 6. September 17, 2012Posted by geoconger in Abuse, Church of England Newspaper, Massachusetts.
Tags: Paul LaCharite
A priest of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts has been arrested by police on suspicion of indecent assault and attempted rape of a young boy.
On 7 September 2012, the Middlesex District Attorney’s office reported the Rev. Paul A. LaCharite (65) had been taken into custody by the Somerville (Mass.) Police Department.
“We allege that this defendant, holding a trusted position within the Episcopal Church, indecently assaulted and touched the victim over several years, only ending his 10-year long predatory abuse of the victim when the defendant left the church,” District Attorney Leone said.
“Our office will continue to prosecute those who harm or exploit children, as they are our most vulnerable victims and most deserving of our protection,” she said.
Fr. LaCharite, who presently serves as priest associate of Old North Church in Boston, is accused of molesting a boy over a period of ten years when he was rector of St James Episcopal Church in Somerville from 1989 to 2005. According the district attorney’s office, the alleged abuse began when the victim was an elementary school student and continued until Fr. LaCharite’s retirement earlier this year.
Fr. LaCharite is alleged to have begun inappropriately touching the child and progressed over time to acts of indecent assault and attempted rape. The victim reported the assaults to the police earlier this week, and after investigation a warrant was arrested for Fr. LaCharite’s arrest.
A spokesman for the Diocese of Massachusetts told The Church of England Newspaper it was “cooperating fully with the investigation, and is making arrangements for pastoral care for the congregations where Paul LaCharite had affiliations and for Paul LaCharite himself.”
The diocesan spokesman said the church’s “canonical disciplinary process was initiated upon receipt of news from the DA’s Office. The diocese remains committed to making our congregations safe through transparency, diligence, care for victims and due process. We face this situation with real sorrow and concern for everyone affected.”
First printed in The Church of England Newspaper.